Saturday, June 28, 2008

Wikis

On reviewing my notes I realised that I haven't blogged about Wikis. That might be because I am still waiting on my invite key to be able to edit.

Meanwhile, about Wikis. A few years back I was in that exact position (described on the learning video) where I was part of a group of external students studying library technology at university. We were required to work on a project together. We were located all over the country, possibly overseas, and worked on our section of the project at different times. We posted our various contributions to the project to the discussion board via attached word docs, and towards the end we had about 20 different documents floating around without any one containing all of the information. We were able to work our way around this but this was a scenario where a wiki would have been extremely welcome. Thankfully the university now has them in place as part of our study tools.

I think wikis are ideal for book reviews. I favour them over blogs. Blogs work in chronological order and I think wikis have the advantage in that they are more flexible in layout and arrangement and are easier to use. They also (as in the above scenario) would be ideal for staff working on projects together.

It's interesting that although Wikipedia can be edited by anyone it still has a high accuracy rating.

1 comment:

pls@slnsw said...

E-mail us again at nswpln@gmail.com for the invite key.

Ellen (PLS)