Saturday, June 28, 2008

Social Searching and Answerboards

Of all the social network tools that I have investigated, MySpace, Facebook, chat rooms etc I think the answerboard is the one that I have enjoyed the most and that I would personally use outside of work. I think it must have something to do with an ingrained habit/desire in those who work in libraries to want to help people answer their questions.

As for 'slamming the boards' would this be any different from 'Ask a librarian' or 'Information Request'. I will probably need to reread the notes again before I can comment fully.

As an online 'window shopper' I find it enjoyable to read the 'customers who bought this also bought this' sections. It saves me looking through a lot of items as it shows selections by people with similar tastes in clothes. It just means that they have done all the hard work for me. I could see that something similar in libraries when customers review or rate books might work, particularly when readers have read all of a favourite author's works this might be an easy way for them to find a new author to try.

I answered two questions from Yahoo7Answers from the Education & Reference section. I haven't been back yet to see how the answers were rated.

No comments: