Sunday, June 29, 2008

Social Networking

I know our customers use social networking tools, I have been asked to lend assistance with users of Facebook and Bebo and was asked by one client if she could 'talk' to others in the library online. I know many locals that use MySpace for networking purposes but I am not totally sure of the best way to use these tools for libraries. I think it may be a lot of trial and error.

We use blogging so staff can be kept informed of what's going on, as an example we post the minutes of our meetings on our staff blog; and I believe we have a book review blog starting on our website but I am not sure how Facebook or MySpace would work unless as a general way of getting noticed by the community. It has been said by some customers that some of their friends have no idea what goes on at the library or the services offered.

I like the idea of using Youtube for promoting or showing events. I think if we taped our author talks (either podcast or Youtube video) we may generate more interest. Sometimes that is all people need to take that first step to go to something they haven't been to before.

I think anything that generates interaction with our clients would be a good thing, anything that make them feel a part of the library and gives them a sense of community.

1 comment:

pls@slnsw said...

You are right - libraries have to work out what is the best tool for them, and the answers will be different depending on the library.

Ellen (PLS)